This article is part of Workflows training. Click here for more information on Workflows.
'Workflow Setup' is the Workflow Administration page that is restricted to Users with the following permission:
- Administration → Workflows → Edit Workflows Setup
On this page, specific Workflows can be set for each Location or Location Reporting Category, as well as for specific Vendors.
These Workflow rules can vary between supported record types. AP Invoices, Journal Entries, and Payment Runs are currently supported. If Workforce is enabled, Workflows also support changes to Employee Records.
This article will explain how to setup your Workflows and maintain them as your organization grows.
Note: It is recommended to have the amount set up as a whole number for each workflow tier.
To open Workflow Setup, hover over the 'Administration' menu and select 'Workflows Setup'.
- Note: If you do not see this option, it is because your User does not have the required security permission. Please reach out to the R365 Admin in your organization for assistance in obtaining the requisite Permission.
The Workflow Setup page varies depending on which record type ('AP Inv' vs. 'JE' toggle) and tab is selected. The following section will describe the fields on each view and their functions.
AP Inv - Location Tab
1) AP Inv / JE Toggle - By default the page will load with 'AP Inv' selected. Toggle between 'AP Inv' to create Workflows for AP Invoices or 'JE' to create Workflows for Journal Entries
2) Approval Groups - This will open the Workflows Groups page, where Workflow Groups can be created and managed. Click here to learn more about Workflow Groups
3) Location / Location Reporting Category Toggle - Determine if your organization will create Workflows by Location or by Location Reporting Category. If you make a change after enabling Workflows, all existing Workflows will be Denied and the rules will be deleted
4) Vendor Specific Workflows Toggle - If you will have specific Workflows for Vendors, ensure that this toggle is set to 'Yes'. Otherwise set it to 'No'. When set to 'No', the 'Vendor' tab is removed and all AP Invoices, regardless of the Vendor, will be subject to the Workflow rules
5) Location / Vendor Tabs - Toggle between the Workflows setup for Locations/Location Reporting Categories and Vendors
6) Workflow Template Export / Import - Click 'Export Template' to export an Excel Template for Workflow creation. Once completed, select the Location/Location Reporting Category in the list, then click the 'Import' button to select your completed Template and import the details into the Workflow
- Note: Referential records (such as Locations and Users) must have the exact same spelling as their record in R365 in order for the import to succeed
7) Location / Location Reporting Category List - Select the Location/Location Reporting Category where the Workflow will exist. This list can be filtered by typing in the desired Location or Location Reporting Category in the open Workflow Location Search bar
- Note: All AP Invoices for this Location will then be subjected to the rules established in this Workflow except when using Vendor Specific Workflows, as those take precedence over Location Workflows
8) Existing Workflow Indicator - A checkmark will be present if a Workflow has been created for this Location/Location Reporting Category
9) Workflow Level - This column contains the Level number of the Workflow hierarchy
10) Workflow Amount - This column contains the Greater Than or Equal to Dollar Amount for the respective Level of the Workflow
11) Level Approver - This column contains the Approver for the Workflow Level. Individual Users or Workflow Groups can be selected
- Note: Only Users with access to the Location will be available in the Approver selector
12) Skip Prior Approvers Checkbox - When checked, this will enable an Approver on a higher level to skip all prior Level Approvers when the AP Invoice's dollar amount equals the amount listed for that Level, making that Level the initial Approver
13) Level Description - This column will contain a written description of the Workflow rule at this Level
14) Require Approvers Checkbox - When checked, this will require all approvals to occur sequentially. This will make the Skip Prior Approvers checkbox (#11) to appear as read-only
15) Clear Button (last active level) - The Clear Button appears at the final Level of the Workflow and can be used to clear (remove) that Level. Once cleared, the 'Clear' button will relocate to the new final Level of the Workflow
AP Inv - Vendor Tab
16) Vendor List - Select the Vendor that will have a Vendor Specific Workflow. This list can be filtered by typing in the desired Vendor in the open Workflow Vendor Search bar
- Note: Vendor Workflows take precedence over other Workflows, meaning if there is a Workflow for 'Location 100' and 'Beverage Vendor', and an AP Invoice is entered for 'Beverage Vendor', the Vendor Workflow will be used
17) Existing Workflow for Vendor Indicator - A check mark will be present if a Workflow has been created for this Vendor
18) Ignore Workflow for this Vendor Checkbox - When checked, all Workflows will be ignored for this Vendor, including Location/Location Reporting Category Workflows. This setting is particularly useful for Food & Beverage Vendors that often have their invoices entered by the Operations team
19) Created By User List - Unlike the Location & Vendor lists on the 'AP Inv' screen, the 'JE' screen contains a list of Users. Select the User that will have the Specific Workflow. Any Journal Entry 'Created By User' will follow the set Workflow Approval Hierarchy
20) Existing Workflow for User Indicator - A checkmark will be present if a Workflow has been created for this User
21) Bank Account List - Unlike the Location and Vendor lists on the 'AP Inv' screen, the 'Payment Runs' screen contains a list of Bank Accounts. Select the Bank Account that will have the Workflow. Any Payment Run associated with this Bank Account will follow the set Workflow Approval Hierarchy.
22) Existing Workflow for Bank Account Indicator - A checkmark will be present if a Workflow has been created for this Bank Account
Note: Only Users who have Payment Run Approval permissions and access to at least one Location associated with the selected Bank Account will be available for assignment within the Workflow Approval Hierarchy.
The 'Employees' option will display the approval configurations for changes to Employee Records within Workforce.
Setting up Workflows for Employee Records consists of selecting the fields where changes need to be approved, and assigning approvers.
Once configured, changes made to the selected fields will generate a Change Request that can be approved or denied on the Summary tab of the changed Employee Record.