This is a part of the AP Invoice feature of the Smart Ops Release. Click here to learn more about the Smart Ops Release.
AP Invoices can be created and managed easily via the Invoices page of Smart Ops. AP Invoices follow a hierarchy of approval in which Restaurant Managers can create and enter an AP Invoice, but once that invoice is marked as complete, Restaurant Managers are locked out from making any further changes. Users with approval abilities can then review and either unlock and edit the invoice or approve the invoice.
Click here for a printable guide of the AP Invoice Form.
Create an AP Invoice
Navigate to the Invoices page of Smart Ops. When this page loads, click '+ Create' in the top, right corner above the listing and then 'Invoice'. This will open a 'New AP Invoice' sidesheet.
Invoices can also be created from the Home page by clicking the plus icon in the bottom corner of the Invoices house shortcut.
AP Invoice Sidesheet
Upon creating an AP Invoice, enter in the necessary information and/or link it to a Purchase Order before saving the AP Invoice form.
1) Location - A listing of all Locations that the User has access to. This field will auto-populate with the default Location set on the User record but can be manually changed by selecting the Location assigned to the invoice. Once a Location is selected, its Source Linkwill be enabled, allowing Users to open the Location record if desired
- Note: Locations will be grayed out if they are inactivated. Click here to learn how to inactivate a Location. If needed, Users can change their default Location via User Preferences
2) Vendor - A listing of all Vendors. Select the Vendor that sent the invoice. Once selected, its Source Linkwill be enabled, allowing Users to open the Vendor record if desired
3) Invoice Number - The Vendor's invoice number. If no number is available, create a new one
- Note: AP Invoices that are quite large, such as a food invoice from a Supplier, are recommended to be entered using the AP Invoice Import Function, which allows Users to import a pre-defined template with the Supplier's invoice details. Click here to learn how to import an AP Transaction
4) Invoice Total - The total amount of the invoice before any discounts
5) Invoice Date - The date listed on the invoice
6) Link Purchase Order - When clicked, this will open a secondary sidesheet that lists all open Purchased Orders. Users can select a Purchase Order to link to and populate the invoice. Click here to learn more about linking a Purchase Order
- Note: If this feature is unavailable, review AP Invoice Security to determine which Permissionss are needed to use this function
7) Credit Expected - The amount shorted on a given delivery. This field works in conjunction with Short Pay Vendors, or smaller food suppliers who only require payment for goods and services actually delivered. If the Vendor is not set up as a Short Pay Vendor via its Vendor record, then the Invoice Total (#4) will be reduced by the value entered in this field. Click here to learn more about Credit Expected
8) Comment - The optional field used for adding notes about a Credit Expected (#7) and/or other important information related to the AP Invoice. Comments will appear in the 'All Transactions' and 'AP Transactions' lists and can be used for sorting and filtering purposes
9) Search Bar - This will search the listing for the characters entered
10) + Add Item / + Add GL Account - This will enable the User to enter invoices by item or by account. This field will display one of these options based on its Vendor entry type. Details about adding items or accounts are described below
- Note: If this feature is unavailable, review AP Invoice Security to determine which Permissions are needed to use this function
11) Total - The total amount of all item costs listed in the 'Details' grid
12) Invoice Status - The status of the AP Invoice. Statuses include:
- In Progress
13) Save - This will be enabled when all required fields in the 'General Information' header are entered. This will save the entered details, and once saved, the following additional functions will be active:
A) Approve - This will only appear to Users with approval abilities. Clicking this button will finalize the AP Invoice
B) Complete - This will mark the AP Invoice as 'Completed' and lock Restaurant Managers with entry capabilities out from making any further edits to the invoice
C) Context Menu - From this menu, Users have the option to delete the AP Invoice. Users can only delete the AP Invoice if their Permissions allows it. Click here to learn more about AP Invoice Security
D) Attachments Tab - This tab lists all attachments added to the invoice via the Split View
E) Split View - This opens a split screen where the AP Invoice is side-by-side with an attachment. If no attachments have been added, this Split View modal will enable the User to upload a document from their Desktop or from Documents to Process. The uploaded files will then be organized in a listing and can be opened in the Split View by double-clicking the desired file. Click here to learn more about Split View
14) Help Menu - This will open the Help Menu, which lists multiple resources to assist in creating an invoice
15) Full Screen - This will expand the sidesheet to full screen. This can then return back to its original size by clicking the minimize icon
16) Close - This will close out the sidesheet without saving
Details Tab Notifications
AP Invoice notifications may appear next to 'Details' on the Details tab. Users may see any or all of the following:
- Alerts - Appears when there are discrepancies or errors in an Invoice. Click here to learn more about AP Invoice Alerts
- Unlinked Items - Appears when Vendor Items are not linked or mapped to a Purchased Item. Click here to learn more about Unlinked Items
- Entry Instructions - Appears when there are Vendor Entry Instructions for the Vendor. Click here to learn more about Entry Instructions
Add Items / GL Accounts
Items or GL Accounts can be added from the 'Details' grid depending on the Vendor's entry type.
Items can either be entered by either linking a Purchase Order to the invoice or by adding items to the 'Details' grid. While items are added to the 'Details' grid, Users can have an attachment opened alongside the invoice via the Split View feature.
This sub-section covers:
- Link a Purchase Order
- Utilize the 'Split View' Feature
- Add Items to the 'Details' Grid
Link a Purchase Order
Purchase Orders can be linked directly to an AP Invoice via the 'Link Purchase Order' button. Click here to learn about linking a Purchase Order.
Utilize the 'Split View' Feature
Once the required fields in the header are saved, Users can add an Attachment and enter details from that attachment as it is displayed in a Split View. To open the Split View, click 'Split View' below the header in the top, right corner of the sidesheet.
From this modal, files can be uploaded and/or selected from Documents to Process. All files will then be stored in this modal as well as on the 'Attachments' tab. Click here to learn more about Split View.
Add Items to the 'Details' Grid
This function will be enabled when a Vendor with a 'By Item' entry type is selected.
To add items to the invoice, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the 'Details' grid
- Click the '+ Add Item' button. A line will appear where details can be entered about an item
- Enter in the name of the item in the 'Item' selector field
- Select the desired item from the drop-down listing that appears
- Once an item is added, details about the item will auto-populate the boxes in the line. The majority of these fields can be updated if needed
- Enter in the quantity of the item and then add more items if needed. Users can add additional items by either:
- Clicking the '+ Add Item' button
- Hitting 'Enter' on their keyboard
Users can easily navigate between boxes by hitting 'Tab' on their keyboard. If all items are added and then the quantity fields are updated, Users can enter a quantity and then click 'Enter' to navigate down the 'Quantity' row. This functionality will work on other columns as well.
- Note: Users can also enter by GL Account even if the Vendor entry type is 'By Item' by adding a new line, searching for the GL Account, and then adding the total amount for the row.
Add GL Accounts
If the selected Vendor has an entry type of 'By Account', then '+ Add GL Account' will be displayed in the 'Details' grid.
To add a GL Account, click '+ Add GL Account', select the desired GL Account from the GL Account selector, and then enter in its allocated amount in the 'Total' column. Click out of row to add it to the grid.
Save and Complete the AP Invoice
Ensure that all required fields are entered in the 'General Information' header and then save the invoice. Once saved, the User will have access to additional functionality, depending on their Permissions.
Once an AP Invoice is finalized, it can be marked as 'Complete'. This will lock all Restaurant Managers out of making any further edits and update the invoice's status to 'Completed'.
The AP Invoice will now be ready for a final review and approval.