It is important to update Inventory if any of the following occurs:
- Multiple similar items with different names (e.g. GROC Ketchup, GROC Katchup, GROC Catsup)
- Unexplained costing issues (usually a symptom of incorrect unit and item setup)
- Item values on Inventory Counts do not update with expected cost
- Recipe entry is confusing due to duplicate Purchase Items
- Recipes are not costing or pulling theoretical ingredients as expected
When your team is ready to clean up Inventory, reach out to our In-House Experts for a free consultation or follow the steps below.
Step 1: Categorize All Items
Export all active Purchased Items and sort by Cost Account. Recategorize all items with a Category 1 and 2. Items with a Category 3 are typically not used except for high-cost groups or large sections of items, such as liquor types.
Step 2: Rename all Items
Using the same export from Step 1, remove all information from the 'Number' field and rename all items in a new column using Purchased Item Best Practices. These include:
- Using naming conventions for Category/Cost Account
- Omitting pack sizes and brands from names unless necessary, such as liquors
- Marking two items as the same item if they can be used interchangeably as ingredients
Step 3: Update the Names of Duplicate Items
Using the same export from Step 1, filter for a single Category 2 and review all similar items. Determine which items are duplicates and have the best/most transaction and recipe information. From there, update the status and naming convention of the duplicate items by changing their 'Active' column status to 'No' and adding 'ZZZ DO NOT USE' to the front of each Purchased Item's name.
Import the Purchased Item changes to R365. R365 recommends validating the file with your CSM prior to importing.
Step 4: Review all Units of Measure
Review and edit all UofMs to ensure that their measurements are accurate and still in use.
- Measurement Comparison. Begin by opening the UofM list view and filter for one Measure Type at a time. Cross-check to make sure that the Measure Type is equal to the Base UofM. If not, update the Base UofM to its correct measurement
- Active UofMs. Only Units of Measure that are active should be used. To avoid using an inactive UofM, add 'ZZZ' to the front of its name to move the record at the bottom of all UofM listings and to show that it is no longer used
Step 5: Reconnect Vendor Items to Purchased Items
If Vendor Items are attached to inactive items, they will need to be reassigned to an active Purchased Item. To do this, open the Vendor Items list and filter the 'Purchased Item' column for names that contain 'ZZZ'. Open each record and remap all Vendor items to an active Purchased Item.
Step 6: Verify that all Equivalent Statements are True
- Hide Columns. Navigate to the Purchased Item list view and hide all columns except for the following:
- Weight Base Qty
- Weight Base U of M
- Volume Base Qty
- Volume Base U of M
- Each Base Qty
- Each Base U of M
- Create a New Saved View. Then, filter the following columns for the listed values and then save this viewand name it 'Equiv - Vol/Weight'. This view contains all items that currently have a volume to weight comparison when:
- 'Active' Column - Equals 'Yes'
- 'Weight Base Qty' Column - Does not equal '0'
- 'Volume Base Qty' Column - Does not equal '0'
- Review and Verify. Review the 'Quantity' columns to ensure that the conversion is accurate. Open the item and correct the equivalence, if necessary
- Repeat Step #3. Repeat the previous step for two other conversion types:
- 'Weight' column to 'Each'
- 'Volume' column to 'Each'
- Further Training. Learn more about using equivalence by watching this training video.
Step 7: Rebuild Inventory Templates
Review and remove all inactive items, or items marked with 'ZZZ' before their name, from Inventory Count Templates and add any correct items if not already present.
Step 8: Remove Inactive Ingredients on Recipes
It is important to remove inactive ingredients and update them on Recipe Item records. To do this, open the Ingredient list view and filter the 'Item' column to contain 'ZZZ'. This will show all of the inactive Ingredients on Recipe Item records.
Update these Recipe Item records in one of two ways:
- Individually - Open each Recipe Item record, navigate to the 'Ingredients' tab, remove the inactive ingredient, and then add the new ingredient and save the record
- In Bulk - Update Recipe Item records in bulk via the Import Tool by completing the steps below:
- Click the 'Export' iconabove the grid to download the filtered 'Ingredients' list for 'ZZZ' items
- Update the 'Qty' Column to '0' and save the file
- Import the file as an 'Update Existing' Ingredient file via the Import Tool
- Download a 'Create New' Ingredient file from the Import Tool
- Add any necessary active ingredients for the Recipes and save the file
- Import the file via the Import Tool